Thursday, April 10, 2008

Things Looking Up

Just thought I'd share that both yesterday and today have been better days. I guess sleeping 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Tuesday really helped, because my energy levels have been a bit better ever since. Or maybe I was just due for an upturn after three weeks or so of downturn.

I definitely don't understand this illness and I've given up trying.

Yesterday, I went to a book discussion group organized by my synagogue to discuss Disobedience by Naomi Alderman. Excellent book, I thought, and it was fun to get a chance to discuss it. I've always wanted to be in a book club but never managed to find one that worked for me. This was a first time thing for the synagogue; the rabbi urged everyone to read it and then the synagogue set up six discussion groups in people's homes on various days and times this week.

The one I attended was at 2 p.m., which is generally my outer limit for being able to be off pain meds and able to drive. I tried to organize a ride to get there, but unfortunately didn't start soon enough. The hostess promised me that if I could get there, she would take me home if I didn't catch a ride with someone else, so I took my sister's advice and took a taxi. It was a little more expensive than I expected -- $18 -- but one of the women at the discussion was happy to give me a ride home because she lives not far away. And next time, I'll try to start asking around earlier if I need a ride to a synagogue function. This was the first time I really sought help from the synagogue, although people from there have reached out to me since I got sick without my asking.

I'm heading to acupuncture in a couple hours and hoping this improvement lasts the weekend, which is busier than I wish it were. Ellie has a playdate on Saturday morning and then a birthday party to attend on Sunday morning. I'm happy that our babysitter, Angie, is due back Sunday afternoon, so I'll probably go take a nap while Ellie and Angie play and make art and read books and Scott heads to the woodshop.


No comments: