Monday, September 15, 2008

Brief Dermatologist Update

So it turns out that the scary looking mole I saw on Scott's back isn't even a mole at all. Commonly called "barnacles," the Seborrheic Keratosis is always benign, the dermatologist said. She showed me other ones in different states on Scott's back, but to be honest, I still don't see the difference between most of those and moles.

Anyway, Scott got a head-to-toe exam on Friday. The dermatologist did agree that the "barnacle" I'd called about was different looking than the other ones so she removed it just to be sure, saying that although it's very rare, sometimes there is cancer hiding underneath the barnacle. She called that a "two-fer." (I liked her. :)

So despite being really icky looking, it's almost guaranteed to be nothing serious.

The doctor also removed a mole on Scott's stomach that had undefined edges, which can be a sign of a dangerous mole.

Both were sent to the lab, and I fully expect to get a letter in a couple weeks telling Scott that both turned out to be totally benign and nothing to worry about.

Thank you to those who kept him/us in your thoughts and prayers over this.

No comments: