Sunday, November 14, 2010

Appreciating Autumn in Portland

I had exactly the day I needed on Saturday.

Autumn's typical overcast, rainy weather has set in here in Portland, Oregon.

And while some people hate it, I appreciate it. One benefit for people like me who need too much sleep is that the overcast, gray skies make it very convenient for napping. Possibly too convenient. 

I slept until noon on Saturday, and then when Scott and Ellie headed off to the community center to swim, I ended up going back to bed from 2:30 p.m. until Scott woke me just before 6 p.m. to tell me dinner was almost ready. I think I could have slept right through the night if he hadn't woke me up. 


And that could have been a good thing. I'm trying to cut back on pain meds again -- although I go back and forth over whether it's needless self-torture to deny myself pain relief -- and of course as usual my body isn't cooperating, so my costochondritis in particular is flared up. C'est la vie, but sometimes sleep serves the dual purpose of addressing my fatigue and giving me some time where I'm not aware that I'm hurting. (Usually. Sometimes I have dreams about being in pain.) 

No comments: