Thursday, November 1, 2007

NaBloWriMo

I always wanted to participate in National Novel Writing Month. The idea is that you write 50,000 words in 30 days (the month of November). You can sign up to participate at NaNoWriMo. It doesn't even really matter if you have a plot, you just commit to writing an insane number of words. And if you want, you can submit your work of art and the winning "book" is published.

I've tried a couple times to participate, but one of the mantras most people need to complete the project is to forget about editing themselves. Just write, and keep writing. Don't go back and tweak the phrasing to make it better. Don't go back to add foreshadowing. Just keep writing. Me, I seem to keep reworking the first few chapters and have never gotten past 10,000 words.

As I understand it, although the piece produced during NaNoWriMo might not be destined to be a best-seller, simply completing a 50,000-word piece is a huge accomplishment. And doing it once, in NaNoWriMo, might convince an aspiring author that s/he can complete a book someday, even one that's readable!

Well, this year, I'm not even going to try to write 50,000 words. But a goal I'm willing to at least try is NaBloPoMo, i.e. National Blog Posting Month. Basically, that means I'm pledging to make one post per day for the month of November. I'm sure I'll find something to blather about, but let's hope I can even make it interesting to read. :)

No comments: