Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Still Struggling with Virus

Well, I saw my internist on Monday as planned. The good news is my lungs are clear, so no bronchitis or pneumonia this time. Phew! I was pretty sure of that, but with all the phlegm I'm coughing up, I wasn't positive.

She said my right ear was fine, but my left ear looked "bright" but wasn't bad enough to qualify as infected on Monday. She said I was probably either getting an ear infection or getting over one in that ear. She was concerned about my sinuses, but wanted to wait until the end of the week to see if I was already getting over an infection there too.

I'm definitely slowly improving from how I felt last week, so I think I'm over the worst of it.

What was interesting was I went to acupuncture yesterday (Tuesday), and was so ultra sensitive that she could only get one needle in me that I could tolerate. We've noticed before that how I'm feeling affects whether I can tolerate certain of the needles, but this is the first time I couldn't tolerate almost any of them. Instead she did some Reiki and some pressure work in the hopes that I'd be feeling better today. But she told me to go ahead and cancel my appointment for Thursday if I wasn't feeling significantly better today, and I've gone ahead and done that.


Did I mention that Scott had jury duty this week? Well, I had to go pick up Ellie from daycare on Monday because he didn't get seated on a jury until after 5 p.m., but he was told things would be very brief on Tuesday since only two witnesses were scheduled to testify. Scott had hopes that he'd be done by lunch time and back to his office by 1 p.m.-ish.

Didn't happen that way, of course. Things just move like molasses in courtrooms, so when he called at 11:30 a.m. and told me that the jurors got kicked out so the lawyers could argue about the judge's jury instructions and closing arguments would start at 1:30 p.m., we both knew I needed to plan on picking Ellie up again Tuesday.

I had a 1 p.m. acupuncture appointment, and got home around 2 p.m. I figured I had a little time to nap and set the microwave timer (which I've used successfully as an alarm clock in the past) and settled in for a nap in my recliner. I heard it go off, and the next thing I knew the phone was ringing. I'd swear it wasn't more than a minute between the two. It was Scott on the phone, and he greeted me with, "I assume you're home already?"


Turns out, I must have fallen back asleep after the microwave timer went off (no snooze button!) and Scott was calling me at 5 p.m. as he left the courthouse. At that point, he was about as close as I was, he decided, so there was no point in my heading out toward Kindercare too. He jumped on MAX (our light-rail train) and got to the daycare about 5:45 p.m. I did call after hanging up with Scott to let them know that he was on his way since it's much later than the 4:15 or so he usually picks Ellie up.

Boy did I feel awful for forgetting my own kid. Thank goodness Scott's jury duty didn't last any longer than it did.

While I waited for them to get home, I did the only thing I could think of to make up for my sleeping through pickup, and cleaned the kitchen and made dinner. The timing worked out well and they walked in the door just as I was draining the pasta.

It wasn't really enough to make up for it, but it seemed to help. And Ellie was perfectly happy to escape a bath for the second night in a row. :)

1 comment:

SharonMV said...

Hi Aviva,
glad you're blogging again & feeling a little better.