Tuesday, November 18, 2008

One Benefit of a Sour Economy

My daughter's birthday is on the winter solstice (Dec. 21), which puts it entirely too close to Christmas, even though we don't celebrate it. People are just too busy around Christmas and New Year's to attend a birthday party.

So for Ellie's first three birthdays, we moved her party to January and celebrated it about a month late, and we are planning to do so this year too.

Ellie has been to several parties at a local spot that offers kids a bunch of inflatables to bounce and climb on, and she has been very clear that she wants to have her birthday party at Pump It Up too.

It's a big change from the messy art parties she has had for the past three years, but what the heck, right?

So I was trying to figure out the best day/time and realized that perhaps scheduling it for MLK Day would get us the weekday price on a day most people are out of work and school.

I called the business, and while I was on the phone, I realized that the website said the weekend rate is for parties scheduled Fridays through Sundays and holidays. Found my own answer, I thought, but figured it never hurts to ask.

"The economy is so bad that I've been allowing people to book parties at the weekday rate for that day," the woman said.

Woohoo! So, we're going to benefit from the lousy economy even though the weekend price is comparable to what we've been spending on Ellie's birthday parties in prior years anyway. It's win-win all around -- she gets the party she wants, and Pump It Up gets a party booked well ahead of time, and we get to save $50ish.

***

So to bring this post around to be on topic of my health, the downside to this venue is that I can't participate even if I'm having a good day due to my ongoing back problems stemming from a 2006 accident when I was rear-ended by an uninsured driver.

I found that out the first time I went to Pump It Up, not long after the car accident, just before Ellie turned 2. Back then, she was scared of the inflatables and would only play on one if I went with her. (Scott wasn't with us.) I think I lasted about 20 minutes before I was in way too much pain. :(

The benefit of parties like this is not only are you paying for the venue, but it comes with helpers who keep the party moving. That makes it much easier for someone like me with chronic fatigue and other issues to throw a fun party for my kid. I can't imagine how I'd manage if I tried to host a party for her at our house, even a party for a much smaller group of kids.

Now if I can just find a comfy place to sit and watch during the bouncing part of the party ...


No comments: