Thursday, November 20, 2008

Today's Bit of Excitement

It seemed like a normal day.

I felt like crud. I slept until 1:30 p.m., when I got up reluctantly to my alarm, which I'd set because I needed to leave around 2:30 p.m. for my 3 p.m. acupuncture appointment.

I had sesame Thai noodles for lunch. I left later than I meant to, but that was good because the heavy rain let up to a drizzle and I made it on time anyway.

Acupuncture went well in some respects, although I couldn't tolerate many needles, nor even a few for very long. But I left feeling like I had more energy than when I came in, and that's always nice.

The energy burst didn't even last long enough to get me home. But still. It's better than leaving acupuncture feeling even more drained like I have recently.

I got home, dealt with some email, chatted with my sister and left voicemail for my dad. Somewhere in there, I also took my pain meds, somewhere between 4 and 4:30 p.m., only my second dose of the day since I had forced myself not to take a midday dose in order to feel safe to drive to acupuncture.

By 5 p.m., I was looking at my bottle of pain meds in the kitchen cupboard, wondering if I'd accidentally taken two Klonopin instead since that bottle was next to the oxycodone. Klonopin is an anti-anxiety drug that I haven't taken in a couple weeks and since for the past couple months, I've only taken it on an occasional basis, I do feel drugged when I take it.

But no, those pills are larger than my oxycodone pills, and I'm sure I didn't take Klonopin by accident.

After repeatedly misjudging things, bumping into things, feeling the room move when I turned my head, I tried calling my doctor. Of course, it was just past 5 p.m. then and the phones don't go through (even though the doctors and their assistants are still seeing patients until 5:30 p.m. or later). So I got put through to the advice nurse, who quickly asked if there was anyone who could take me to urgent care. I said my husband would as soon as he got home.

"When is he due home?" she asked.

"Well, 10 minutes ago. But the rain ... "

"It's probably traffic because of the rain," she agreed.

So Scott came home to find me sitting in our minivan with the side door open, and we transferred Ellie to the van and went to urgent care, where a doctor confirmed I wasn't about die of an overdose or a drug reaction.

His theory? Well, it might just be the oxycodone I took, which can cause the symptoms I had, although that seemed doubtful even to him since I took the same dose I've been taking for months without feeling like that.

I checked out normal except for a rapid heart rate (118) and a "suspicious" throat. The doc said his best guess was I am coming down with a virus and the early symptoms just hit coincidentally at the same time my pain meds kicked in.

Who knows?

I could have done without the extra excitement tonight. And the theory that I'm coming down with yet another virus when I'm barely over the last one.

I see my internist late tomorrow (Friday) afternoon.

No comments: