Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Weighty Subject

My family is always complaining that I never have any good (medical) news, especially in my blog.

Well, never say never, because here's a piece of good news:

I've officially lost (and kept off for 30 days) the 25 pounds I gained in the first six months of being on high doses of steroids in 2007.

Mind you, there's plenty more to lose. My next focus is the 25 pounds I gained after my 2006 car accident that left me with apparently permanent neck and back problems. At the time of the accident, I was feeling pretty healthy, working out two to three times a week at a gym I'd joined a few months earlier. After the car accident, I found that going to the gym aggravated my back and neck pain, even if I limited myself to walking slowly on a treadmill. I thought it was temporary, and put my membership on hold but after six months of that, I eventually canceled it. Between the calories I was no longer burning at the gym and the extra calories in "comfort food" I ate as I tried to cope with the pain, my weight had climbed.

So, I've got a long weight loss journey ahead, but I'm happy that at least the scale is moving in the right direction these days.


3 comments:

Herrad said...

Hi,

Great news well done.
Love,
Herrad

Aviva said...

Thanks, Herrad! I really appreciate it! It's definitely not easy to lose weight when I'm so inactive thanks to my mystery illness. And my habit of comfort eating doesn't help. But it's kind of cool that when I get a little momentum (especially by hitting a mini goal like this one), it makes it that much easier to make good choices about what I put in my mouth. Hope you're having a lovely spring day!
---Aviva

Herrad said...

Hi Aviva,

Hope you are still feeling good about your weight loss.

Its important to celebrate these things.

As its important to celebrate all the good things in our lives.

Its lovely spring weather here hope you have it too.

Have a good day.

Love,
Herrad