Saturday, November 19, 2011

Day 19 And Counting

Nearly two-thirds of the way done with NaBloPoMo and #NHBPM, and wishing it were already December, if only that wouldn't make me late for way too many pre-holiday preparations. Remind me next October how much I whinged about this year's daily posting challenges, ok? :)

Ellie had a lovely time at her friend's birthday party tea party/slash spa day and came home with a bottle of lovely bath salts and a very glittery pink (foam) crown. :)

But during the 20 minutes or so she was home between skate practice and going to the party, I learned she was yet again having symptoms of a bladder infection, including having run to the bathroom several times during practice. Well, for accuracy's sake, she skated to the bathroom. (And I try hard not to imagine the mechanics of using the bathroom as a female while wearing roller skates, especially ones without toe stops.)

Sigh. Well, that hadn't been in our plans for the day. But that's life, right?

So I sent her off to the birthday with Scott, and then after they got back, we headed off to an urgent care to get a urine test done. 

But that was only after I did the mental dance between the benefits of going, getting it out of the way so we could start the antibiotics sooner versus waiting until Sunday morning, calling her pediatrician's office at precisely 8:30 a.m. when they start answering the phones and getting one of the limited weekend slots they save. (They're open for patients 9a.m.-1p.m. on weekends.) I'd prefer to have her see her own pediatrician, or at least one of the docs from the same practice, but it would have meant that there was a good chance they wouldn't be able to go to skate practice on Sunday morning and Scott had already scheduled a coaching session for himself then. 

So we went today and had to do the first-come, first-served wait. We arrived just before 3:30 p.m., and didn't walk out until 5:15 p.m. Could have been worse; I would have considered that a short visit if we'd gone to an ER! :) But it sure felt like forever. 

It didn't help that I realized I was hungry when we got there, and of course hadn't brought snacks. And then I really got grumpy when, while collecting a urine sample, Ellie hadn't sat far enough back on the toilet so I ended up getting sprayed with urine that ricocheted off the edge of the toilet. (I might not have gotten so grumpy if I weren't hungry. Or if she hadn't thought it was the most hilarious thing in the world. But we've done these urine sample collections with her so many times over the past three or four years that it irritated me pretty badly that she'd done that, and my irritation lasted until my jeans were finally dry from it.) 

(Somehow, I thought only boys ever peed on their moms. Especially once they were past infancy. It was a learning experience when Ellie was a baby and managed to spray urine in my face while I was changing a diaper, too. Who knew parenthood was so full of learning experiences? :)

Yeah, so that was my day. How was yours? Anyone pee on you? :)

No comments: