Thursday, November 3, 2011

Product Review: My New Buddy

As a book addict, my chronic illness has been both a boon and a curse. 


While I have way more time to have my nose in a book these days than I would if I were healthy, I also have way too many days when my hands hurt too much to hold a book. Sometimes, I hold the book anyway and pay the consequences while wearing wrist braces. Other times, I watch too much TV.

Meanwhile, I'm a sucker for a (free) contest and enter anything with a prize that appeals even slightly. 

So when Tami, who helps run a local support group for people with fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalopathy, announced a giveaway that she was offering at her blog for a Book Buddy, I immediately entered.

Imagine my surprise when I found out I won! 


I got to choose the fabric from the website, and they mailed it out to me super fast. 


And here it is:


I love this book so much that I actually finally ordered it on Amazon this week because I want to support the writer, Diane Gilleland, who blogs over at craftypod.com.
It's essentially a small rectangular pillow with adjustable ribbons that help hold your book both in place and open. I wouldn't typically use it with the book I photographed with it, but it was the only book within reach when I decided to take the photo. :)

It's especially wonderful when I'm reading thick hardcover book, which always make my hands hurt to hold. And since most of the books I get from the library are hardcovers, this is really useful.


Could I manage it with a normal small pillow? Probably. I've certainly used small throw pillows to prop up my books on my lap before. Having the ribbons to hold the book open to the page I'm reading is an extra level of luxury. 


It also came with a plastic "desk" top to attach to the pillow using the ribbons for a hard surface to work on. The website suggests using it as a base for a laptop, but when I tried that while sitting in my recliner, it put my laptop's keyboard at a very uncomfortable, and non-ergonomic, height. I'm sure it's useful for some people, but the plastic/plexiglass/whatever desktop has been claimed by Ellie for some of her various games. :)

My only complaint about it is the fabric used. The fabric for the top feels like cotton (I had expected it to be silky from its appearance on the website, but it's not) and is fine, unexceptional but fine. However, the back of the pillow is this navy blue polyester-feeling fabric that I dislike the feel of. 

I am, admittedly, a fabric snob; and the type of fabric used doesn't impact the function of the Book Buddy. Texture is important to me when it comes to fabric. Whether I'm looking for a new sofa or a dress, I go through stores touching everything as I pass. And I have to say, that navy fabric would not have passed the touch test for me. But really, if that's the only complaint I can come up with, it's a pretty decent product. 

I don't know that I would have bought the Book Buddy, but I'm very much enjoying using it. And I'm grateful to Amanda Crawford Designs for giving Tami the opportunity to give a Book Buddy away to one of her readers.

-----

Full Disclosure: I received the Book Buddy for free in a giveaway on another blog with no strings attached. I did not receive any compensation for this post (or even promise that I would blog about it), and my opinions are my own.












 

2 comments:

deb aka abcsofra said...

I love it when we can find anything to make our lives with chronic illness easier. The Book Buddy sounds like a winner to me!

Aviva said...

Deb: Very true! Thanks!