Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The First Day of a New Year

Well, it's hard to believe it's 2008 already. But here we are.

We had a quiet New Year's Eve with a delicious dinner that we shared with friends who brought their two children over. Even though their kids are older than Ellie, they played very well with her.

But it was an exhausting day for me. We started out by going to JC Penney's to get photos of Ellie taken. The photo session went well, although Ellie found an Abby Cadabby doll (a new Sesame Street character who's a fairy) and it was tough to get her to take any photos without the doll in them!

I'm getting better at asking for what I need. The way they're set up, you look at photos at a computer to choose which ones you want to buy. And of course, there were no chairs at the counter by the computer. So I explained that I was ill and unable to stand for long periods and the clerk went and fetched me a stool. It always takes forever to go through all the photos, especially because they insist on showing you the enhanced ones first, which cost more money. We almost never buy those, although I did succumb to a collage with Ellie in her fairy dress holding the fairy doll. It was too cute, although I'm still not sure it was worth $30.

Of course, while we were at the mall, we had to stop at Stride-Rite and get Ellie's feet measured. Ellie was so disappointed to find out that her shoes still fit and we weren't going to buy her any new ones.

We finally made it home at 1 p.m. (after having left home at 10 a.m.), and I went straight to bed, where I napped until shortly before our guests were due to arrive around 4.

We really enjoyed having them here, but it was a leisurely dinner followed by a break to watch the kids playing before a decadent dessert. Finally, at 8 p.m., I called an end to the evening, which was good for all of us because their kids were overtired and getting hyper and Ellie was overtired and also getting hyper.

I pretty much went to bed as soon as Ellie was down for the night. And I told Scott to let me sleep in, but neither of us realized I was going to sleep until past noon! I got up just in time for our babysitter, Angie, to come over to play with Ellie and give Scott a woodworking break.

And despite having gotten more than 14 hours of sleep, I'm still recovering from overdoing things yesterday. I'm so glad that Scott and Ellie go back to work and school tomorrow and I can have an entire day of downtime. The past 10 days or so that they've been home have been hard on me. Despite daily naps, I'm just not getting as much sleep and quiet time with both of them home. It was either last night or the night before that Scott commented on how dark the circles were under my eyes. I just said, "Yeah. I'm tired."

Here's to hoping I and all of you have a happy and healthy 2008.

1 comment:

~RaenWa~ said...

Happy New Year I hope you can start getting more rest soon..I am glad the clerk was nice enough to get you something to sit on hope you start feeling better soon