Monday, November 2, 2009

Encouraging Fortunes

I don't believe in astrology. I don't believe in tarot cards or psychics. 


But for some reason, I get a warm fuzzy feeling when my fortune cookies offer something that feels like it could possibly actually fit my life. Or my family's life.

We had takeout from our favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner tonight, and I'm crossing my fingers that the fortunes in our cookies will come true. 



Ellie's fortune: "You bring sunshine into someone's life."


Well, I'm not sure that's a fortune per se, but she certainly brings sunshine into my life, and Scott's as well.


Scott's fortune: "Your hard work will soon be rewarded."


His reaction? "Yeah, right!" (in a very cynical tone of voice) But it's true that, for many months now, he's been working very hard lately at the office. While it's true that his company probably isn't going to financially reward anyone anytime soon with bonuses, I can still hope that he gets the promotion he has long deserved. (And probably would have had already if the economy hadn't gone sour.)


My fortune: "An unexpected payment is coming your way!"


My first thought was: "Ooh! Maybe I've been approved for disability already and the SSA is sending me a check for back payments!" 

Somehow, I don't think that's too likely to have happened with no word from the agency! 


But I'd sure be thrilled if some payment was winging its way to me right now. 



2 comments:

lisa said...

I am so excited you are participating in NaBloPoMo and look forward to all of your posts. While I am a skeptic, there's always been something about fortune cookies that have intrigued me and offered comfort. I hope you hear from SSA very soon! xoxoxox Lisa

Becky said...

You know, I tend to get really excited for fortune cookies too. So rare to find an interesting one anymore!

I'm glad you're doing NaBloPoMo. As soon as I get a free moment, I'm going to make a separate little blogroll for you November people, so I can keep track of y'all better. Courage!