Saturday, January 12, 2008

New Email Program?

Ok, So I already told you guys that I'm a dinosaur. Here's more proof.

I've essentially been using Eudora, in one version or another, since about 1995. For the most part, I love it.

And of course, they've stopped upgrading it and offering support. And my latest version, which is a few years old, is Eudora 7.0, and it seems to be showing some signs of age.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good email program? I don't like using web email since I prefer to download my email to my own computer for posterity. (For instance, I still have virtually every email my husband and I exchanged since we met in May 1995. :)

Anyway, I don't mind paying for good software. I do prefer software that doesn't tag my emails with advertising, especially if I'm paying for it. And I hate Outlook Express, which is looking like my only other real option. But there's got to be something else out there that I just haven't heard about. Oh, and it needs to be able to pull email from multiple accounts and sort it according to filters that I can create and modify.

Thanks!

5 comments:

SharonMV said...

Hi Aviva,
Just wondering if you received the e-mail I sent you a few days ago. It was info on immune deficiency & some Lupus websites.
Sharon

Bob said...

Currently I have 8 email accounts all of which I use Thunderbird as my email client. I launch the program and it checks all of my accounts at one time. I have set to have separate folders for each account for organization and convenience.

The program is free and below is a link.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Aviva said...

Wow, thanks Bob! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Mozilla has a great email client out there too. And free is my very favorite price. :) You haven't had any problems with spyware or any of that stuff, right? I assume you wouldn't have recommended it if you did!

Bob said...

No problems at all with Thunderbird. It comes with a great spam filter and will learn as it goes.

Jen Rouse said...

I don't blame you for wanting to securely keep your e-mails on your own computer. Hotmail changed its policy suddenly last year and deleted all my old e-mails--including ones from my entire pre-marriage relationship with my husband. There were some very special words on there that I wanted to keep forever. Lesson learned: don't trust an e-mail provider to keep your stuff safe for you. I don't have any answers for you, I just wanted to tell you you're wise for doing so.