Saturday, January 26, 2008

Slow But Steady Wins the Race

So I keep questioning myself about whether or not I'm feeling any improvement, whether from the new medication or the acupuncture or simple the passage of time.

And since I've always had some days and even weeks that were better than others, it's really hard to tell.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think I'm seeing some incremental improvement. Not so much in how I'm aware of feeling, but in that I seem to be a little more functional lately.

Yes, I missed my Living Well class on Thursday, but I coped with the unanticipated needs of my daughter's conjunctivitis on Wednesday and on Friday, I managed to accompany Scott and Ellie for Ellie's 3-year physical.

And today, Saturday, I managed to pull myself together to go to an Early Childhood Resource Fair nearby (although the two groups I was hoping would have booths didn't!) for almost 45 minutes. (Ok, is it just me, or is it unreasonable to expect a parent of a 3-year-old to pay $90 tuition for dance class lessons AND spring for a $70 "uniform" that all the kids have to wear. The young woman behind the desk tried to explain to me that the kids wear the same uniform until they're 8 or 9. Yeah, sure. But how many sizes of shoes and leotard is Ellie going to go through in those six years?! Ellie did enjoy the little performance half a dozen girls, maybe ages 8 or so, put on and did say she'd like to learn how to dance like that. But I think we'll find somewhere cheaper!!)

Ok, I admit, I did end up sleeping almost the entire afternoon each of these three days so maybe it really isn't that big an improvement if I'm just shifting the sleep I normally get in the morning to the afternoon.

But I so want this to be working.

How do you measure incremental improvement?

2 comments:

Stef said...

*waves*

I don't have what you have, but for the past few years my energy level has been all over the place.

Lately I've been keeping an "Accomplished Today" list and a sleep diary.

Aviva said...

The "Accomplished Today" list could be a really good thing. As long as you refrain from beating yourself up for not getting enough things on the list. Which is what I fear I would do with it. :( What details do you keep in your sleep diary? Do you find that helpful? I've been thinking that I should start keeping some sort of symptom diary which would probably involve tracking sleep and energy levels as well.

Anyway, it's good to see you here, Stef, but I'm sorry to hear you're having energy issues too. :(