Friday, January 18, 2008

Why Doesn't Conserving Energy Work for Me?

So I've noticed that I can definitely put myself out of commission for several days by overdoing things, but why doesn't taking it easy for several days before a big event (i.e. Ellie's bday party) not seem to leave me any more energetic than normal?

It just seems like there should be a way to add to my energy levels (and lower my pain levels) for special occasions, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

Tomorrow is the big day, and I've spent most of the week trying to take it easy as much as possible, but I'm still exhausted. And I'll try to take a short nap before the party tomorrow, but that usually doesn't leave me feeling any more revitalized than if I don't. (It can, however, possibly prevent my being bedridden for a couple days after a Big Day. Sometimes, at least.)

I'm secretly happy that the timing of Ellie's party on the weekend before MLK Day means that a number of folks won't be able to attend because they'd already planned weekend trips out of town to take advantage of a three-day weekend. The party still won't be small by any means -- I'm expecting about 50-55 people -- but it's better than the 70-75 we've had in previous years. Well, better for the me who's not feeling up to par. But I don't think Ellie will notice the difference -- there will still be 15-20 kids ranging from about 18 months to 8 years old. And that's the most fun part of the party for me and Scott I think -- seeing all those kids having a blast painting and doing other art projects without having to worry about being neat. (We warn everyone on the invitation to wear messy clothes because even the so-called washable paints don't always come out in the wash!)

And it's still mostly a party for us, to celebrate three years of parenthood -- something that for many years we didn't think we wanted to do but are now so happy we changed our minds. :)

Next year, though, I'm thinking of maybe a much smaller, girls-only party (well, Daddy can come but no boys!). Maybe a princess party at a local tea house. Maybe doing pedicures for all the girls and their moms (although I suspect that might get kinda spendy ...), but just something very girly since Ellie is such a girly girl.

On the other hand, it's really hard to beat doing messy art!

Please cross your fingers and think positively for me for tomorrow. The party is 3-5 p.m. Pacific Time on Saturday and I'm going to need all the good vibes I can get!

No comments: