Monday, January 14, 2008

A Rough Week

I think the most frustrating part of this illness is that I haven't been able to define the limits yet.

When I have a semi-good day, I seem to overcompensate and try to squeeze in too much. And that leads to one or more days when I only get out of bed to go downstairs to sit in my recliner until it's time to go take a nap back in bed, and so forth.

I think what's complicating things for me is I'm overscheduling. I've got this Living Well class every Thursday, plus I'm doing acupuncture once a week. And that's before I add in any visits to other doctors or the dentist. So I seem to be ending up with at least three days a week with commitments/appointments, and while that doesn't seem like much to my brain, it's apparently more than my body can handle well.

At least I seem to have learned my lesson from last week and will try not to schedule things on three consecutive days!

***

Well, the Salsalate (new NSAID) has definitely kicked in, at least side-effect-wise.

I spent at least 5 minutes this afternoon trying to figure out where that strange noise was coming from before I realized it was the ringing in my left ear. Oops.

And my hearing is definitely getting worse. I have to say "what?" a lot to Scott, who promises that he understands I'm not doing it to be irritating but sometimes sounds less sure of it. I'm sure it's nearly as frustrating for him as it is for me.

Now I'm hoping the benefits of the drug will start kicking in very soon too.

2 comments:

~RaenWa~ said...

That ringing in your ears has got to be irritating but I do hope the pills start helping & making you feel better soon hopefully now that you are learning you limitation it will be a little less tiring on you

Laurie said...

Ah, setting limits. Always the challenge with chronic illness--especially since given the nature of chronic illness, those boundaries are always fluctuating. Don't beat yourself up if you can't find the middle ground..just listen to your body and your instincts whenever you can and keep being open to fluctuation...you're doing a great job!